Thursday 10 September 2009

DISTINGUISHED ALUMNA OF LADY SHRI RAM COLLEGE, DELHI


All those years ago, when I was a student in Lady Shri Ram College (1964 to 66), I had no idea that one of my contemporaries was going to be an international figure, and dominate the world stage in a quiet way. Aung San Suu Kyi, whom I just saw from afar - one of the foreign students, is what my reaction must have been. She was my senior, and I was a Literature major, while she did Political Science, I think. There was nothing to show what the future held in store for her. I don't even remember noticing her specially, but the spark must have been there even then. One really has no idea of the strength of mind that is required to face such challenges as she has. God bless her, and protect her.

Today our college is showing support to this champion in various ways, and mounting a campaign to free her.
Read about it here

13 comments:

Sud said...

Surprised to know that you hail from LSR. How was delhi then?

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

A most interesting post. I enjoyed the read very much.

Yvonne.

Devika Jyothi said...

WOW! Aung San Suu Kyi.....is one whose life inspires me endless....I read every bit of whatever comes in the news with reverence,

and that you were a student of LSR...remember you saying in one of our earlier chats :)

Nice post....actually all these campaigns make me want to jump in...in some way or other...but the good shepherd at home has his ways of controlling my activities :)

wishes,
devika

w

Gowri Mohanakrishnan said...

Hooray for LSR and all the free spirits it has nurtured!

Viji said...

So awed and moved !!! And Maiji adds , so touching !!

IIM ka Sarkari Babu said...

wowow! u saw her when she was a student! wow!!!

Kamini said...

Wow! That is a thrilling discovery! (BTW, see you soon in this part of the world??)

Meera's World said...

her stories are amazing. thanks for sharing.

YOSEE said...

Surprised to know that Suu kyi studied in India ! She is truly an iron lady. Hope she's set free soon.

Capt. Anup Murthy said...

WOW! I am also one of Aung San Suu Kyi's many thousands of admirers. I hope the Military Junta releases her and I hope democracy and people power takes back power from them. She is a beacon for hope and freedom.

Maddy said...

that must have been great - remembering her days in 64 - doing political science. I guess her mother was the Burmese ambassador then, the only Nobel winner who was educated in India...Tagore studied at home, if i recall right..

Nagesh.MVS said...

Interesting.
Work From Home

cyclopseven said...

The book 'Letters From Burma' by Fergal Keane, which carry letters written by her from imprisonment, brings us closer to the person behind the name Aung San Suu Kyi. It gives you the glimpses of her thoughts, ambitions and expectations.